The 5 Keys to Whatever it Takes
“Do whatever it takes”
What does this even mean?
Recently someone told me to do just that: “Whatever it takes.” and do you know what my first instinct was? What would you do? Who would you be if you were doing whatever it took to get what you wanted?
What most of us do when we consider doing what ever it takes, is work! I mean, long hard physical labour, toiling away at the difficult tasks until the wee hours of the morning. Stop me, if this doesn’t apply, but I know myself to have done just this in the past, when I was doing WHATEVER it took to get my outcome.
But you know what I never once stopped to consider? I never once considered my thoughts. Isn’t getting what you want down to how hard you work? How much blood, sweat and tears you put into something?
Well, yes, but only partly. You must also work on your beliefs. Doing “whatever it takes” can be done in your sleep in fact, or on the train, or while you’re working on other things in your life. Getting what you want in any scenario in your life also comes down to what’s going on in your head.
You can work until your hands bleed, but the extent to which you achieve your goals, is directly linked to what’s going on in your head, also. While working long hours is effective in part, there are a few more things you need to do.
- Know Your Outcome: First, before you can do anything, you must know exactly what it is that you want. This needs to be stated and understood in a very specific way. You can use the formula for SMART goals to make sure your goal is formatted effectively.
- Take Action, Baby! The very next thing that you need to do to get what you want is something you are probably very familiar with: Take action. The first thing that happens when you start working towards a goal is you come up against obstacles, and this is where taking action comes into play. If you’re no taking action, you won’t discover the obstacles that need to be dealt with. The more action you take, the more obstacles you can discover (and get rid off) and ultimately get your goals faster. This is what leaders do. You must also remember to:
- Have Sensory Acuity. You must also continue to be critical of your goal, your actions and the effect they’re having on the accomplishment of your goal. If you decide on a certain course of action, and upon completing that action you discover that it is not the best way to continue, having sensory acuity will allow you to decide on the another course of action. Having sensory acuity does not mean to become discouraged by stumbles along the way, however. Any time you find yourself not getting what you want, you must take this as feedback on the method, not on you. All this means is that the process is not working to get your outcome and something needs to change.
- Have Behavioural Flexibility. When you are flexible in your methods, and in your behaviour, you will be able to change your course of action for the outcome of your goal more easily. Ask yourself how being rigid in your thinking is serving you or your goals. Would being open to change serve you better? You must learn to decide what the best actions are for the completion of your goal, and work (unattached) in that way.
- Have Physiology & Psychology of Excellence: This last point is very important. Your thoughts, emotions and body are all intimately linked. What you think and feel effect your body and visa versa. This is not a new concept. Athletes for decades have understood that the way they perform in the game is effected by their mental state. Keeping this in mind, it is imperative that you pay attention to your state. That is, you must work at consciously maintaining a state of excellence including keeping your mind focused on what you want, and your physical body in a condition that will support the work you are doing.
Blood, sweat and tears will go a long way in helping you get what you want, but keep in mind that there is a lot more to doing ‘whatever it takes’ than long hours and sore bodies.
Learn to break through your limitations and take your results to the next level at one of our life changing NLP Trainings across Australia